Friday, June 29, 2007

Lake Tahoe Fire

I think this week as taught me to not trust the news.

The fire here, as most people have heard about, is mostly under control now and I'm back at work (I decided to take a break from talking to angry people on the phone haha). However, it was so intense a few days ago. The fire started on sunday, and we thought it was under control until tuesday a controlled burn got out of control and everyone on the property here had to evacuate. I had to leave work and drive around the whole lake because the fire was so close to our property that i could not get through.

Finally I was able to meet back up with the rest of the group, and we are now staying at these incredibly nice condos on the beach for free! And fortunately we are going back to our property tomorrow and it was not harmed at all. But I have heard everything on the news from Tallac Village (the place where we live) is completely destroyed, to that it was partially destroyed, and I went there today and it was completely untouched!

God has provided to much for me and for the rest of our group. We have been fed amazing meals for free, stayed at wonderful condos for free, and the community has definitely reached out to us. it's been an interesting learning experience though, because I feel really awkward accepting help from people because I feel like there are so many people who deserve it and need it more than we do. But i guess all I can do is not complain and thank God for what He has done for us. I am just amazed by that!!! We all just keep praying for those who lost their homes. I think the total number is at around 200 homes that have been destroyed, and just walking around tahoe and talking with people everyone either knows someone whoes home was destroyed, or their own home was destroyed.

I feel like I have so much more to say about all of this, but if you guys want to know any more feel free to send me an e-mail or give me a call! I appreciate all of the people who have been praying for us!!! I heard that there are people on different summer projects praying for us in colorado, south east asia, korea, new york, alaska, canada, austrailia, the list goes on! This is crazy, I am so thankful for it!!!!

No comments: